Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Contentment




I have been thinking a lot about contentment these last few weeks. I have been amazed at how content I have become since the twins entered my world.

Webster’s dictionary defines contentment as the quality or state of being contented; the feeling or showing of satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation.

Naturally, contentment was paired with our own self-contentment (or self-satisfaction).

I’m a bit embarrassed to say that a little prior to the twins entering my life, I had started struggling to feel content with my life. I had started concentrating too much energy on looking to tomorrow, to the next big goal in my life, to what I would buy with my next paycheck, to thoughts of eventually building a house, to our next vacation trip….

But with time I discovered that such feelings don’t always end in a bad result, because in thinking through my thoughts and realizing the root of them, I began to understand that it wasn’t material possessions that I felt were missing in my life, it was our precious sweethearts that we now have.

It’s funny to me how God helps to prepare us for our next steps in life IF we allow him to. And more than that, how he doesn’t necessarily always give us our exact desires, but rather situations in which to develop these desires. For example, I prayed for patience (in general) for two years, and then God gave us twins. :) There is definitely some humor in that.

So why not simply be content with where we are in our lives? And if we aren’t content, then why not take time to process through the roots of our discontentment and to make changes as needed? I associate my level of contentment with my current relationship with God, so when I begin to feel discontent about something, I discern that my Christian walk needs a little work.

During the last few months, I have discovered a whole new level of contentment. It’s funny how a 4 month year old can teach you a thing or two. I find contentment in the smiles I receive when I scoop up one of our babies when they are moving around in their sleep and are ready to eat. I find contentment in the smell of Johnson’s lotion and baby powder. I find contentment in six sterilized bottles ready for the next round of feedings. I find contentment in watching Billy IV scrunch himself in a ball and get ready to roll over. I find contentment in hearing Brooklyn “talk to the fish” on her baby swing.

Thank you God for the level of contentment you have provided me with through our twins. Here’s to finding contentment in the little things!

Psalms 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

6 comments:

  1. Great post. Love reading your thoughts. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great writer! I love you! Keep on writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psalm 37:4 is my FAVORITE verse!! I loved this post and so glad that you are so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, first of all, you are awesome. Thank you so much for sharing God with us!

    Second of all, I'm so glad that you feel contentment. God is so good!

    Lastly, are you kidding me!?! Did you SEE how cute those kids are!? I've always thought (from other pictures) that Billy IV looks just like Billy III, but in that one, he looks JUST like you! Yea! What sweet little blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I think I needed this today. I love it and I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete