Monday, May 16, 2011

Being a stay-at-home mommy

So, I realize that basically all of my blog posts are about my sweeties, but at the same time, they are what consumes my life.

Being at home with them and watching them grow, interact, and develop new skills is such a blessing.

Sometimes I forget how nice it is that for the most part, my worries don't stretch beyond these four walls.

Last Saturday while we were at Freed for my sister's graduation, I started thinking about how much I appreciated not having to think about Monday and what a work day would involve.

Now that the babies are six months old and we are starting to slow down (just a TAD bit) into some form of a routine, I am taking time to evaluate my life to ensure my priorities are in order. The first three years of a baby's life are what impact them most, and I want to do everything I can to help them grow into Godly, well-rounded, gentle, confident individuals. Don't we all? But I know that in order to do that for the babies, I have to be able to do it for myself. And there is a certain weight that I feel with that responsibility.

I can't say that being a Stay-at-home mom is any easier than working full-time in the "real" world. My shifts are of course 24 hours, but my independent shift is 16 hours. I get help with 3-4 feedings a day, but I do anywhere from 8-12 on my own. I try to sleep when the babies do, but from 12:00 AM to 9:00 AM I still am getting up anywhere from 4 to 15 times depending on the night. No matter how tired I may seem or how pale I may get from lack of sleep, I can honestly say I truly enjoy it all. It is so nice to be needed, to see a smile come across one or both of the twins faces when I peer over their crib to check on them...I can tell how much they trust and appreciate that I am there in a matter of seconds.

I have realized it doesn't matter how dirty the diapers are, how messy the solid food feedings get, how all over the place the house may seem...what matters is the number of smiles the babies give throughout the day, the number of giggles I can prompt, two full bellies and two (somewhat) clean outfits...

Next week I will celebrate 3 years of marriage to my sweetheart and my best friend. In July, we will be together 5 years all in all. It has all went by so quickly!

Before I head off to bed, here are a few words of gratitude to the love of my life. I love you babe! You are the greatest!

My dearest Billy:
It's hard to believe that we have already been married for three years, and together for nearly five years! Like everyone always says, the time has absolutely flown by. I still remember meeting you for our first date...taking extra time on my hair, wearing a green shirt to "hopefully" accent my eyes (HA!), feeling a bit nervous, and of course...the double clutch hug. Who could forget that? Certainly not you. :) I always knew we would marry. Months before we even went on our first date, and when we had only probably said a handful of words to each other, I knew you were the one. You came into my life at exactly the right moment, and you have made my life both feel and be complete.

Thank you for being such a wonderful best friend, husband, and father to our children. I don't thank you enough for everything you do. For getting up every morning to go to work to make money to support our family...for setting your clock and making sure we get up for church every Sunday...for changing dirty diapers and feeding babies bottles the moment you walk through the door even though I know you must be tired from a long day....for never complaining when the house isn't so-so...I really do notice and appreciate just how amazing you are.

More importantly, thank you for our children. They are our biggest accomplishments and blessings in life. When we went on that first date, who would have thought that a few years down the road we would have our smiling Billy and peacock Brooklyn sitting in front of us already? God is so good. To Him be the glory. Thank you so much for working hard so that I can be at home with them. I know sometimes the lack of sleep may be tiring, or the constant feedings/rockings/diaper changes may be a bit exhausting, but I enjoy every single moment of being with our babies. Thank you for letting me be here to hear their coo's...to see their smiles...to rub their sleepy noggins... to rock them to sleep...to make them laugh...to read to them...to applaud them while they roll over or sit up...to feed their hungry bellies...to talk to them about God and how much He loves them...I don't take a second, minute, or hour for granted.

The twins and you have taught me to live in the moment. To appreciate each and every detail that may seem simple or monotonous to some, but to me are some of God's greatest gifts.

Like the saying goes, "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all." I love you with all my heart.

Love Always,
Linds

2 comments:

  1. You are tooooooo sweet!!!!!! Congrats on 3 years together! Y'all are a wonderful couple and I'm so blessed to call you friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. Happy early Anniversary! Time has flown. It doesn't seem like long ago we were at your church in Arab about to marry you off to the Billster. So glad he has you and you have him.

    ReplyDelete