Monday, April 16, 2012

Brooklyn Rose



And thou shalt in thy daughter see,
This picture, once, resembled thee.
~Ambrose Philips

I always make sure I include each twin in my blog posts so I don't feel like I am cheating the other and since I of course adore them the same amount, but I thought I would do this one specifically on Brooklyn (and do one just on Billy IV in the future). For those of you that don't know, she may in fact be the biggest mama's girl on this side of the universe. If you think I'm kidding, come spend a day at our house. It sometimes means a little more "work" (if you could possibly call what I do work) but is incredibly precious to me, and has been so good for my heart and soul.

Every single day, Brooklyn wants to be right with mommy, doing what mommy is doing.

She helps me wipe the counter, she helps me poor milk, she brushes my hair while I blow it dry, she helps me put lids on containers, she brushes her teeth while I brush mine, she tests the water coming out of the faucet for bath time after I do, she sprinkles cheese on casseroles before they go in oven, she starts laughing and/or smiling just because I am doing so.

Often as she drifts off to sleep, she will put one hand on my arm to make sure I am there, and there have been a few occasions when I nearly (and do) tear up thinking about just how much she loves and needs me, as all children need their mommies. That is a fact. I have come to learn that a mother/daughter bond is so special. It's hard to believe that I used to think I only wanted a house full of boys. God knows our needs much better than we do.

While I do want her to have independence, it brings hundreds of smiles to my face each day. Like hundreds of thousands of daughters, Brooklyn wants to be just like mommy. And with that comes some self-reflection, similar to what I wrote about in a blog a few weeks ago. If Brooklyn wants to be just like mommy, do I, in turn, truly want her to be like me? Am I showing her on a daily basis what truly is important?

When a drink spills on the floor after an earlier than expected start to our morning, how do I react? Before meals, do I take time to pray? I see her look at me curiously and inquisitively when I do. What does my expression convey and what do I say first thing in the morning? How often do I give reassuring hugs and kisses? How much time do I spend on her level, playing with dolls, exploring, looking at animal cards, walking her play doggy?

And beyond that....How I do treat friends that are my age? How do I treat family? Do I give to others or do I hold back? Am I a source of encouragement? Do I place emphasis on worldly desires or spirituality?

If you didn't beforehand, I hope you, like me, did (and continually do) a little self-reflection as a parent. May we never stop growing and maturing in our faith!

Brooklyn Rose,
From the moment I first saw you, I knew that I would be your mother first, but that secondly, we would be dear friends. You have brought so many smiles to my face and caused so many giggles in my voice. You have tugged at my heart and soul and have made me feel so loved and fulfilled. I can still remember talking to you when you were three months old, when you were crying as sweet babies sometimes do, and letting you know that mommy would always be right here for you, and it was as though you clearly understood me, and from that point on, you have been an absolute mommy's girl. Like when I was a little girl, you adore kittys, books, and babydolls. It is so precious to see you rock your babies and pat them softly on the back. Since you look so much like mommy, I can't help but sometimes feel like I am in a time-warp, watching myself at your age many years ago. Thank you for the way you say mommy, for how often you run to me with outstreched arms, for helping me with daily tasks, for the books you bring me to read to you during the day...I pray for you and brother every single night. I pray that God will help daddy and me show you His wonderful love, that He will give you a long and fruitful life in His service, that you will one day find a spouse that will help you in your Christian walk...May you always know that little brother and you are my world and that I love you both so dearly!










No comments:

Post a Comment